Mayor: Mr. Thomas Kastrup-Larsen
Population: 205,809 residents.
A brief history of the city
The Vikings founded Aalborg where the waters of the Limfjord are at their narrowest. The city's history began over 1,000 years ago: during the Middle Ages Aalborg was already one of the biggest settlements in Denmark, and enjoyed an extensive commerce in bulls, salted fish and grain. In 1342, King Valdemar of Denmark granted Aalborg, then a thriving coastal village, a charter that regulated the relationship between the king and the municipality, and empowered civic leaders to provide efficient local government and services to its citizens. In 1516 Aalborg received from the king the monopoly over the trade in Herring fish, in conjunction with the city of Longstore. The civil war of the following years caused general regression, yet Aalborg overcame this crisis rapidly. In the 19th century the first bridge over the fjord was built, and in 1933 was constructed the existing bridge, that connects both sides of the fjord.
General information and special features
Now the fourth largest city in Denmark, Aalborg is a model of responsible local government, and is the district capital of North Jutland. The local authority is in fact comprised of two cities located on both sides of the Limfjord canal: The southern city is Aalborg and the northern city is Nørresundby; sometimes the name Greater Aalborg (Stor-Aalborg) is used to describe the concept. They are connected by Limfjordsbroen, a road bridge, an iron railway bridge, as well as by a motorway (E45) passing it to the east and running under the Limfjord. Aalborg constitutes a transport center in Denmark and has the largest conference center in the Danish counties. The urban landscape of Aalborg is characterized by ancient buildings that have been preserved for hundreds of years as natural components in the city's architecture, among them are the Aalborg Estate from 1539; Yanse Beng Mansion, a five-story Renaissance-style building from the 17th century; and Bodolphy Cathedral from the 15th century. There are important Viking burial grounds and remains (in a museum) situated just to the north of Aalborg.
Aalborg is famous for its Akvavit, an alcoholic beverage of the schnapps family, distilled there since the 19th century. In addition, it houses the international center of IT Communication. There are several initiatives for business development such as NorCom, a business cluster of 20 partners and Mindwork, an alliance between the district of North Jutland, the municipality of Aalborg and key companies of IT. An additional business initiative is called Science and Innovation for Life, from the field of medical technology, in which the University of Aalborg and several companies cooperate.In addition, the city has a prosperous steel industry of international repute.
Aalborg has quite a few museums, many art galleries and theaters. The city has many amusement parks and one of the largest zoos in the Danish counties, as well as many venues that offer rich nightlife. Every year in May the city holds a carnival, the largest of its kind in North Europe, with over 30,000 participants. In addition, the city hosts the Opera Festival, the only one in the district. During the summer the city holds open-air concerts and the Blue festival in August, for the benefit of jazz and blues fans.
The Haifa-Aalborg Twin Cities Treaty was signed on January 1973