Mayor: Mr. Thomas Kastrup-Larsen
Population: 205,809 residents.
A brief history of the city
The Vikings founded Aalborg where the waters of the Limfjord are at their narrowest. The city's history began over 1,000 years ago: during the Middle Ages Aalborg was already one of the biggest settlements in Denmark, and enjoyed an extensive commerce in bulls, salted fish and grain. In 1342, King Valdemar of Denmark granted Aalborg, then a thriving coastal village, a charter that regulated the relationship between the king and the municipality, and empowered civic leaders to provide efficient local government and services to its citizens. In 1516 Aalborg received from the king the monopoly over the trade in Herring fish, in conjunction with the city of Longstore. The civil war of the following years caused general regression, yet Aalborg overcame this crisis rapidly. In the 19th century the first bridge over the fjord was built, and in 1933 was constructed the existing bridge, that connects both sides of the fjord.